Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: West

SURE payments: frequently asked questions

Eligibility issues

Q1: If a farm is located in multiple counties, do all of the counties have to be disaster designated?

No. The farm will be eligible as long as part of the farm is located in a county that has a Secretary Disaster Designation or is contiguous to one.

Q2: If not in a disaster designated county or a county contiguous to one, how is the percentage of loss going to be determined?

In order to determine if the farm has greater than an overall 50 percent loss, the calculation will consider the value of each crop.

Q3: Is there a “loss threshold” that must be met for the farm to be eligible?

At least one crop of economic significance must suffer at least a 10 percent production loss due to disaster, adverse weather, or disaster related conditions.

Q4: Does the SURE program cover losses for grazed forage?


Q5: Does the SURE program cover losses for crops that cannot be covered by NAP or CI?


Risk Management Purchase Requirement (RMPR) general questions Q6: If a crop is a minor crop on a farm, with regards to the overall expected revenue, does this crop have to CI or NAP coverage?

No, if it is considered by the Agency to be a crop that is not of economic significance. However, only crops that are covered by CI or NAP are considered in the payment calculation for the farm.

Q7: If a crop of economic significance on the farm did not suffer a loss, does this crop have to be covered by CI or NAP?

Yes, all crops of economic significance in all counties must be covered by CI or NAP regardless of loss.

Q8: Is land that is grazed only (not hayed) required to have CI or NAP?

No. Grazed land is excluded from the RMPR.

Q9: If a subsequent crop is planted on the farm because of a disaster, is that subsequent crop required to have CI or NAP?

Yes. Producers have to carefully consider their planting plans to ensure they obtain coverage for all crops they will or could plant. Failure to obtain coverage for all of their crops may result in ineligibility.

Q10: If an individual has interests in multiple farming operations, are all of the operations required to have coverage in order for one of the operations to receive SURE benefits?

No. Only the farming operation that is applying for SURE benefits must have coverage on all crops in all counties.

Q11: What other FSA programs have to meet this requirement?

The Tree Assistance Program (TAP), Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP), and Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-raised Fish (ELAP) also have this requirement. However, LFP only requires the coverage on the affected grazed land. Other programs, including NAP, LDP, CRP and DCP, do not have to meet this requirement.

Q12: Is there a requirement to purchase CI or NAP in the future if benefits are received?

No. However if they don’t purchase CI or NAP for a future year for all crops, they will not be eligible for the SURE for that year.

Q13: How can a producer obtain coverage for 2008 since the deadline dates had already passed when the farm bill was signed?

A producer will not be eligible for the SURE if they did not have coverage or if they did not “buy-in” to the SURE program. The “buy-in” period ended on Sept. 16, 2008.

Q14: Will there be a “buy-in” for 2009 and subsequent years if coverage wasn’t obtained timely?

No. However, the Agency will allow producers of 2009 crops to be eligible for SURE if both of the following conditions are met:

– the sales closing date or application date was prior to Aug. 14, 2008.

– a fee is paid to the Agency ($250 per NAP crop and $300 per insurable crop) by a date to be determined.

RMPR CI/NAP coverage questions

Q15: If the crop is insurable, does the coverage have to be at a level greater than CAT (catastrophic level)?

No, CAT level coverage or greater levels (“buy-up”) will meet this requirement.

Q16: Do private insurance policies meet this requirement?

No. The insurance must be a policy or plan of insurance under the Federal Crop Insurance Act. These plans are available from crop insurance agents.

Q17: For plans of insurance that are not offered at the CAT level, is insurance required for this crop to be eligible for SURE?

Producers of these crops must have the CI coverage or NAP coverage. NAP is available for crops that do not have coverage at the CAT level, such as the pilot cherry crop insurance policy.

Q18: If CI is available in the county, but that crop cannot be insured due to conditions in the policy, must the producer purchase NAP for that crop?

Yes, if NAP is available for the crop under the circumstance that resulted in the failure to meet policy requirements.

Q19: Do farm revenue policies such as AGR (Adjusted Gross Revenue) meet the RMPR for all crops on the farm?


Q20: Is a producer of insurable crops eligible to receive SURE benefits if they are on FCIC’s “ineligible producer list.

No. This producer is ineligible to obtain CI coverage and thus, cannot meet the RMPR.

Payment calculation issues

Q21: Do farms have to suffer at least a 60 percent revenue loss to receive SURE payments?

No. Payments will be calculated if the farm’s total revenue is less than the SURE guarantee.

Q22: Will SURE compensate for eligible production or quality losses?

SURE will compensate for both quantity and quality losses, as long as there is a revenue loss on the farm.

Q23: Is crop revenue based on individual receipts?

No. The revenue for each crop is determined by multiplying the production amount times the National Average Market Price for the crop, not the actual price received by the producer.

Q24: Can producers receive SURE payments in addition to NAP payments and CI indemnities?

Yes. However, benefits received from CI or NAP will be considered as revenue, and will count against the guarantee.

Sign-up questions

Q25: If a producer has NAP or CI coverage, is that producer automatically signed up for the SURE?

No. There will be a separate sign-up period for SURE benefits.

Q26: Is there a fee to sign up for the SURE program?


Q27: Where will the application be filed?

Applications must be filed at the county FSA office. See the list of local FSA offices below.

For more information on SURE or other Farm Service Agency programs, contact your nearest California FSA office. There are 30 offices in California in the following cities:

Alturas ● 530-233-4391

Bakersfield ● 661-336-0967

Colusa ● 530-458-5131

Dixon ● 707-678-1931

El Centro ● 760-352-3531

Elk Grove ● 916-714-1104

Eureka ● 707-442-6058

Fresno ● 559-276-7494

Hanford ● 559-582-1071

Hollister ● 831-637-4360

Indio ● 760-347-3675

Lancaster ● 661-942-9549

Madera ● 559-674-4628

Merced ● 209-722-4119

Modesto ● 209-491-9320

Oroville ● 530-534-0112

Petaluma ● 707-664-8593

Red Bluff ● 530-527-3013

Redding ● 530-226-2568

Salinas ● 831-424-7377

Santa Maria ● 805-928-9269

Stockton ● 209-472-7127

Susanville ● 530-257-4127

Templeton ● 805-434-0398

Ukiah ● 707-468-9225

Visalia ● 559-734-8732

Willows ● 530-934-4669

Woodland ● 530-662-3986

Yreka ● 530-842-6123

Yuba City ● 530-671-0850

Sign-up to be announced

At this time, the sign-up dates for the 2008 crop year SURE program have not been announced. Watch for further information on the Web site.

TAGS: Legislative
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.