While spring is usually a big time of year for state FFA officers, this year’s state conventions were unlike any other.
Conventions had to be reimagined for 2020 and were held virtually, like most other large-scale conventions and events.
Still, COVID-19 couldn’t stop FFA officers from meeting, having fun and electing new state officers, even if it was virtually. American Agriculturist checked in this week with the Pennsylvania State FFA Officer Team and the New York State FFA Officer Team to see how things are going thus far and how COVID-19 has affected their plans for the new year.
The conversations were split into two separate podcasts, with the Pennsylvania FFA team’s discussion releasing today and the New York FFA team’s episode coming tomorrow.
In June, seven new members of the Pennsylvania State FFA Officer Team were elected:
- Mikara Anderson, president, 2019 graduate of Southern Huntingdon High School
- Cody Lehman, vice president, 2020 graduate of Central Columbia High School
- Jessica Herr, secretary, 2020 graduate of Lampeter Strasburg High School
- Cheyenne Bastian-Brown, treasurer, 2020 graduate of Canton High School
- Alayna Harrell, reporter, 2020 graduate of Annville Cleona High School
- Emily O’Brien, sentinel, 2020 graduate of Everett High School (Bedford County CTC)
- Emma Musser, chaplain, 2020 graduate of Elizabethtown High School
Six new members of the Maryland State FFA Officer Team were elected earlier this summer:
- Cassie Bell, president, Southern FFA home chapter
- Helen Leadingham, vice president, Boonsboro FFA home chapter
- McKayla Kiernan, secretary, Caroline County FFA home chapter
- Kyle Schulze, treasurer, South Carroll FFA home chapter
- Morgan DeFriece, reporter, Brunswick FFA home chapter
- Elsie McKenzie, sentinel, Francis Scott Key FFA home chapter
Photo courtesy of Maryland state FFAMARYLAND FFA TEAM: Six new members of the state officer team were elected earlier this summer. Pictured are Elsie McKenzie (left), Morgan DeFriece, Kyle Schulze, McKayla Kiernan, Helen Leadingham and Cassie Bell.
Five new members of the Delaware State FFA State Officer Team were elected earlier this summer:
- Jackson Sylvester, president, graduate of Lake Forest High School
- Abby Edwards, vice president, graduate of Lake Forest High School
- Emily Samick, secretary, graduate of Middletown High School
- Maci Carter, treasurer, graduate of Lake Forest High School
- Kendall Metz, reporter, Caesar Rodney FFA