The 91st National FFA Convention and Expo wrapped Oct. 27 with several Missouri FFA members crossing the stage to receive their awards.
Here are a few highlights of Missouri FFA member from this year’s National FFA Convention:
• American FFA degrees. Missouri had 518 members earn the American FFA degree, the highest degree members can attain. American FFA degree recipients represent less than one-half of 1% of all FFA members.
• Star Farmer. Austin Stanton of Centralia, Mo., earned the American Star Farmer award. He operates a multifaceted enterprise that sells eggs from more than 15,000 hens in mid-Missouri to neighbors, restaurants, local grocery chains and the University of Missouri dining halls. He also raises swine, grows potatoes and radishes, and operates a field-spraying service. The Star Farmer is presented to the FFA member who demonstrates the top production supervised agricultural experience in the nation.
• Top Chapters. Two Missouri chapters picked up distinguished chapter awards, as the Marshall FFA chapter was named the 2018 National FFA Model of Excellence winner for the second straight year. The Paris R-II FFA chapter was also selected as a top 10 Model of Excellence program, with a total of 31 Missouri chapters receiving the highest available chapter rating.
• Proficiency winners. Four FFA members were the top in their specialized Agricultural Proficiency. Jacob Blank of Richland FFA won equine science placement. Neosho FFA member Grace Box earned top honors in specialty crop production. Brenden Kleiboeker of Pierce City won for his swine production placement project. Rolla FFA member Hannah Strain won for top forage production proficiency.
• Contest winners. Columbia FFA members Anna Roberts, Derek Strawn, Leo Elsasser, and Justin Eddy won top honors in horse evaluation, while Owensville FFA members Adriene Aubuchon, Ella Wright, Abigail Koepke and Kaylee Abney won first place in floriculture.
Nearly 70,000 students nationwide attended the convention in Indianapolis. A full list of this year’s recipients and a compilation of event results are available online.
Source: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education