June 12, 2020
Need a quick catch up on the news? Here's seven stories you might have missed.
1. EPA issued a cancellation order June 8 outlining limited and specific circumstances in which existing stocks of three dicamba products can be used for a limited period of time. The products are Xtendimax with Vaporgrip Technology (EPA Reg. No. 524-617); Engenia – (EPA Reg. No. 7969-345); and FeXapan – (EPA Reg. No. 352-913). – Farm Futures
2. In Pakistan, locals are collecting locusts for chicken feed. The country is dealing with the most devastating locust swarms in 25 years. Collectors earn 12 cents per kilogram collected. – BBC
3. As of June 8, USDA has paid 80,261 producers $1.4 billion through the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program. The top three states for non-specialty crop payments are Illinois at $60.6 million, Iowa at $52.5 million and Nebraska at $45.2 million. The top three states for livestock payments are Kansas, $68.2 million, Oklahoma, $58.1 million, and South Dakota, $55.6 million. – Farm Futures
4. Scientists of Wageningen University and Research concluded that intercropping can significantly increase yield and reduce the use of fertilizers. – Phys.org
5. The European Commission has granted approval of Elanco’s pending acquisition of Bayer AG’s animal health business. In August 2019, Bayer announced it was selling its animal health business to Elanco Animal Health for $7.6 billion. The deal was expected to be completed by mid-2020. – National Hog Farmer
6. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said that as of June 9, beef processing facilities are operating at 98% capacity, pork processing facilities are operating at 95% capacity, and poultry facilities are operating at 98% capacity compared to the same time last year. – Farm Futures
7. Six House Republicans are asking USDA to ease regulations on smaller meat processors. – Yahoo News
And your bonus.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried are engaged in a cold war, which has agricultural lobbyists sweating. – Politico
About the Author(s)
You May Also Like
Current Conditions for
Enter a zip code to see the weather conditions for a different location.
Pros and cons of H-2A guest farmworkersNov 30, 2023
Market expectations: What's on the horizon for grain and livestock?Nov 22, 2023
18 gifts for the farmer on your listNov 27, 2023