At this year’s South Dakota State Fair, a legacy of farm and ranch families were recognized.
The South Dakota Farm Bureau and the South Dakota Department of Agriculture honored farms and ranches that have been in the same family for 100, 125 and even 150 years.
This year, 25 families were honored with the Century Farm award, 16 with the Quasquicentennial award and two with the Sesquicentennial award. To be eligible a farm must be owned by a member of the same family, consist of 80 acres or more and have proof of the original date of farm purchase.
Since the program began in 1984, over 3,000 farm and ranch families have been honored. The award presentation takes place each year at the South Dakota State Fair.
Century of agriculture
One hundred years is a long-time in farming or ranching. This year 25 more South Dakota families were honored for their dedication to the agriculture industry.
- Carl Ashdown, Hyde
- Frances Behnke, Marshall
- Charles and Peggy Boydston, Pennington
- David and Sharon Bushnell, Lyman
- Cindy Dancler (Jan Family Farm), Charles Mix
- Allen and Margaret (Youngberg) Eggers, Roberts
- Agnes E.L. Gross, Hand
- Barbara Sue Haynes, Aurora
- Byron and Dennis Hendrickson, Hamlin
- Joanne, Roger and Evan Jensen, Kingsbury
- Paul and Bridget Johnson, Codington
- Dan Kari, Perkins
- Eugene and Lois Kleinjan, Brookings
- John and Loni Kocmich, Charles Mix
- Jimmie Larsen, Turner
- William H and Diane McDaniel, Haakon
- Curtis and Heather (Koerner) McGuigan, Lawrence
- Nix Family Ranch LP, Jones
- Matthew and Muriel (Gade) Olson, Codington
- Rasmussen-Lehman 33 Ranch, Mellette
- Mark and Jill Rust, Hamlin
- Marshall and Colleen Springer - Buffalo Butte Ranch, Gregory
- Donald and Dianna Stotz, Potter
- Kerry and Paula Warkenthien, Clark
- Steve, Linda, Terry, Robin Wicks, Lake
125 years strong
Sixteen farms made up this year’s Quasquicentennial Farm/ Ranch Honorees.
- Avis Brandenburger, Roberts
- Donald and Fae Dayton, Brown
- Kathleen (Eickman) Piscitello, McCook
- Donald Erickson, Marshall
- Kaija Graves, Brule
- Larry and Linda Halse, Codington
- Gerald Hefner, Davison
- David and Marcia Johnson, Brookings
- Joe and Paul Nordstrom, Roberts
- Don and Helen (Whipple) Prater, Grant
- Geraldine D Purtell, Charles Mix
- Darlene and Mark Ripp, Hutchinson
- Donna Schwartz, Minnehaha
- Donna Webster, Minnehaha
- Zane L Williams, Yankton
- David Thyen, Codington
Elite farm status
Just two farm families reached the Sesquicentennial or 150-year mark.
F. Arlene DeVany of Clay and Clifford, Janet and Clayton Sorum of Lincoln were recognized during the state fair.
To apply for 2021, visit South Dakota Farm Bureau online for details.Source: The South Dakota Farm Bureau is solely responsible for the information provided and is wholly owned by the source. Informa Business Media and all its subsidiaries are not responsible for any of the content contained in this information asset.