I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! (Cheesy, but true… a story about National Ice Cream Day must start with that phrase.) National Ice Cream Day is July 18, and we are READY to celebrate! Why would ag media celebrate ice cream? Well, we celebrate dairy operations, farmers and ranchers, cows, land-grant universities, businesses that support agriculture, and so much more.
Our editors across the U.S. had the tough task of finding local shops, dairy stores and other ice cream venues, sampling the product and sharing those places with you. Now, on July 18 (or any other day, really), you can go check out some of these local shops, and support local businesses, local education and local farmers!
Ice cream statistics
And we've also got some ice cream stats from International Dairy Foods Association. Check them out!
- July is the busiest month for producing ice cream, and most of it is made from March through July.
- In 2020, ice cream makers produced over 1 billion gallons of ice cream.
- The majority of U.S. ice cream and frozen dessert manufacturers have been in business for more than 50 years, and many are family-owned.
- The average American consumes approximately 23 pounds of ice cream and frozen desserts per year.
- The ice cream industry offers $13.1 billion to the U.S. economy, and supports 28,800 jobs.
Top 10 favorite flavors include:
- Cookies and cream
- Mint chocolate chip
- Chocolate chip cookie dough
- Buttered pecan
- Cookie dough
- Moose tracks
Which flavor is your favorite? Take our poll!