Compeer Financial’s Fund for Rural America, the Farm Credit cooperative’s giving program, has awarded 45 General Use grants totaling $240,547 in Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota. General Use grants fund initiatives and organizations whose work enriches agriculture and the rural U.S., aligning with Compeer Financial’s mission.
These grants will directly impact the lives of 494,804 people and will touch 1.7 million lives.
Since the program was established in 2018, the fund has awarded General Use grants to 167 community organizations, totaling over $916,000. The fund will offer this grant again in May to provide funding for summer 2020.
“The General Use Grant Program impacts the communities where Compeer Financial clients and team members live and work, and embodies our commitment to enriching agriculture and rural America,” says Karen Schieler, senior corporate giving specialist. “Many of the groups supported with this grant offering will have a direct impact on farmers, promote agriculture in a positive way or support local food insecurity initiatives. This grant is integral to our organization as part of our commitment to the farmers and communities we serve.”
The 15 organizations in Compeer Financial’s territory in Wisconsin receiving support from the General Use Grant Program include:
- Baraboo School District, new defibrillator
- Board of Regents of University of Wisconsin System, adapting and updating AgVentures Grain Marketing curriculum
- Brandon Community Food Pantry, new shelving
- Dairy Girl Network-Stronger TogetHer, behavioral and mental health programming
- Downtown Beaver Dam Inc., entrepreneur class series grants
- Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin, repairing lift gate on semitrailer truck
- Fondy Food Pantry Inc., new straddle stacker
- GROW, purchasing magnifying glasses, produce scale, clipboards and other teaching materials
- Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership-Wisconsin, hunger banquet and transportation for Leadership in Action service projects
- Indianhead Community Action Agency, Rural Entrepreneur Technical Assistance Program
- Lafayette Ag Stewardship Alliance, educational events and local research studies into groundwater quality
- Living Hope Food Pantry, walk-in refrigerator and freezer
- Operation HELP, farmers market and food harvest vouchers for low-income families
- Savanna Institute, Agroforestry Apprentice Program
- Stockbridge Grows Garden Club, raised gardens and greenhouse
Fund for Rural America
The Compeer Financial Fund for Rural America is the corporate giving program of Compeer Financial, structured to support Compeer Financial’s mission to enrich agriculture and rural America. Compeer Financial’s board of directors has dedicated 1% of annual net earnings to support the fund’s focus areas of education, youth engagement, rural development and community enrichment, agricultural advocacy and development, and cooperative initiatives.
The fund is managed by a board of trustees, made up of team members from Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota, and members of the Compeer Financial board of directors. More information about opportunities available through the fund can be found at compeer.com.