Nebraska Farmer Logo

The Cattlemen’s Ball was last in that part of Nebraska in 2003, when it was held in Ashland.

July 1, 2021

3 Min Read
Welcome Cattlemen's ball 2021 sign at Cass County Fairgrounds
SIGN OF THE TIMES: The 2021 Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska is in the books, but the volunteer team that organizes the annual fundraiser for cancer research recently announced plans for the 2022 event to be held at the Cass County Fairgrounds in Weeping Water next June.Courtesy of Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska

The 2021 Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska, hosted in early June at the Scott and Patricia Mueller farm near Columbus, is in the books. But the team from the annual event is already busy planning for 2022.

They recently announced that the annual fundraiser, benefiting research at the Fred and Pamela Buffett Cancer Center in Omaha, will be hosted at the Cass County Fairgrounds in Weeping Water on June 3-4 in 2022.

The event next summer will be spearheaded by two host families, including Mark and Candi Rathe, with their daughters, Brooklyn and Jillian, of Weeping Water; and Dr. Scott and Karen Lubben, with their children, Angela and her husband E.J., Matthew and his wife Lauren, and Jeremiah, of Plattsmouth. Along with the host families, it takes about 700 volunteers from the local area to support the event.

Related: Cattlemen's Ball raises money to fight cancer

Since the inaugural event in 1998, the Cattlemen’s Ball has raised nearly $15 million for cancer research, with 90% of those proceeds going to the Buffett Cancer Center and the remaining 10% returned to the local community for health and wellness initiatives.

Cass County

“We’re extremely excited to bring this event to Cass County,” says Mark Rathe, who serves as the Cass County Fair board president. “This is an incredible opportunity for folks to come together for a great cause and have fun while doing it. I have high expectations for both the quality of the event and the outcome.”

Rathe has set an informal goal to raise $2 million at next year’s ball, which would be a record-breaking accomplishment.

“Our location gives us a unique advantage,” he says. Weeping Water is a town of about 1,200 people, situated about equidistant south of Omaha and east of Lincoln. The last time the ball was hosted in this region was in 2003 when it was held at Ashland.

“We’re a rural, agriculture-based community, which is typical for Cattlemen’s Ball locations, but we’re also ideally situated between Nebraska’s two largest cities,” Rathe says. “I think the combination will enable us to draw a large, diverse crowd. We want people to know this event isn’t just for cattle producers and cowboys. It’s for all Nebraskans.”

For everyone

While the term “ball” typically refers to a formal event with dancing, the Cattlemen’s Ball is not that, says Scott Lubben, a Cass County veterinarian whose office is located in Louisville. Activities in recent years have included a benefit run, golf tournament, cancer survivor style show, beef experience, beef and wine tasting, silent and live auctions, prime rib dinners, concerts, and more.

“We’re looking forward to continuing those same activities, but putting our own local spin on them,” Lubben says. “We’ll also be looking for ways to expand and make the ball better than ever.”

The event is open to all, but there is a level of exclusivity. Ticket sales will be capped at 1,500 for a two-day pass, and 3,000 for a Saturday-only pass.

Lubben says that they expect the event to sell out. “So, we encourage anyone interested in attending the 2022 Cattlemen’s Ball to stay tuned as planning progresses and tickets go on sale later this year,” he says. “We can’t wait to see everyone in Weeping Water in June.”

Learn more about the Cattlemen’s Ball at cattlemensball.com.

Source: Cattlemen’s Ball of Nebraska, which is solely responsible for the information provided and is wholly owned by the source. Informa Business Media and all its subsidiaries are not responsible for any of the content contained in this information asset.

Subscribe to receive top agriculture news
Be informed daily with these free e-newsletters

You May Also Like