It's no longer a tie for first: Iowa State University's graduate program in agricultural and biosystems engineering is in sole possession of the No. 1 ranking in 2020. That’s according to the rankings of graduate programs released March 17 by U.S. News and World Report. Last year's rankings of biological and ag engineering had Iowa State and Indiana's Purdue University tied for first. That's no longer the case.
What made the difference? "Our faculty have continued to excel in mentoring grad students, publishing peer-reviewed research in high-impact journals, obtaining competitive grants and receiving national and international awards," says Steve Mickelson, the ISU department chair and engineering professor. "They are also leaders in their professional societies and within their peer groups."
Other ISU programs also rank high
Other ISU highlights in this year's graduate rankings include the College of Engineering ranked 24th among public universities, eight engineering programs ranked in the top 25 of public universities and ISU College of Business Master of Business Administration program ranked in a tie for 28th among public universities.
Each year, U.S. News & World Report ranks programs in business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing. Rankings are based on different measures in each field, but common assessments are preparedness of incoming students, and the career or academic outcomes of graduates. The magazine also periodically ranks programs in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and other disciplines. Those rankings are based on the ratings of academic experts.
The magazine’s latest rankings of Iowa State graduate programs include:
Colleges and schools 2020 rankings
- Engineering, 24th among publics and tied for 43rd overall
- Business (full-time MBA), tied for 28th among publics and tied for 53rd overall
- Education, tied for 90th among publics and tied for 112th overall
Programs and departments 2020 rankings
- Industrial/Manufacturing/Systems Engineering, tied for 17th among publics and tied for 25th overall
- Civil Engineering, tied for 18th among publics and tied for 27th overall
- Chemical Engineering, tied for 20th among publics and tied for 33rd overall
- Aerospace/Aeronautical/Astronomical Engineering, tied for 23rd among publics and tied for 31st overall
- Materials Engineering, tied for 23rd among publics and tied for 36th overall
- Electrical/Electronic/Communications Engineering, tied for 23rd among publics and tied for 39th overall
- Computer Engineering, tied for 24th among publics and tied for 42nd overall
- Mechanical Engineering, tied for 26th among publics and tied for 48th overall
- Master of Fine Arts Programs, tied for 60th among publics and tied for 99th overall
- Part-time MBA, tied for 67th among publics and tied for 112th overall.