By Cameron Rudolph
Six Michigan State University AgBioResearch scientists have been recognized in the 2019 Highly Cited Researchers List, an annual compilation of the global leaders in scientific influence by Clarivate Analytics. The highlighted researchers represent the renowned programs in plant, animal and environmental sciences at MSU.
The list, in its sixth year, acknowledges scientists from 21 fields of study. Requirements for making the 2019 list included publication of multiple highly cited papers from 2008-18 and ranking in the top 1% of citations in their fields.
The six researchers have appointments in either the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources or the College of Natural Science — or both. All have been supported in part by MSU AgBioResearch. They are:
- Sheng Yang He, a university distinguished professor studying plant and pathogen interactions
- Gregg Howe, a university distinguished professor working on understanding how plants respond to insect stress
- Rufus Isaacs, a professor of entomology who researches Michigan berry crops through integrated pest management programs, including invasive insects such as spotted wing drosophila
- Christoph Benning, a university distinguished professor focusing on lipid metabolism in photosynthetic organisms
- Phil Robertson, a university distinguished professor of ecosystem science working on issues of agricultural sustainability — including plant, soil and microbial interactions that affect yield
- James Tiedje, a university distinguished professor looking at soil science and the ecology, physiology and genetics that underpin important microbial processes
“This is a tremendous accomplishment for each of these distinguished researchers and a reaffirmation of the importance of their work,” says Doug Buhler, director of MSU AgBioResearch. “It also speaks highly of MSU as a consistent leader in plant, animal and environmental sciences, which have been foundational to our university since its inception.”
Rudolph is the MSU ANR Communications and Marketing communications manager.