Twelve scholarships were awarded to students by the dairy checkoff.
The National Dairy Promotion and Research Board, through Dairy Management Inc., which manages the national dairy checkoff, annually awards $2,500 scholarships to 11 students enrolled in programs that emphasize dairy and who have shown potential to become future industry leaders. In addition, the NDB awards a $3,500 James H. Loper Jr. Memorial Scholarship to one outstanding recipient.
Kathryn Lyne Gardner, a University of Arkansas student who is double majoring in agribusiness and agricultural communication with a minor in agricultural leadership, has earned the 2019-20 James H. Loper Jr. Memorial Scholarship.
Students earning $2,500 scholarships:
- Sanne de Bruijn, South Dakota State University,
- Ariel Graveen, University of Wisconsin-River Falls,
- Cynthia Hamlett, Iowa State University,
- Theodore Jacoby, South Dakota State University,
- Gloria Koester, Purdue University,
- Ashley Maus, South Dakota State University,
- Brianna McBride, Iowa State University,
- Jessica Mehre, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
- Jessica Schmitt, Iowa State University,
- Margaret Socha, South Dakota State University, and
- Collin Weltzien, University of Wisconsin-River Falls.
Eligible majors include journalism, communications/public relations, marketing, business, economics, nutrition, food science or agriculture education. Scholarship criteria include academic achievement, a career interest in a dairy-related discipline, along with demonstrated leadership, initiative and integrity.