December 24, 2018
A webinar discussing changes that dairy producers should be aware of regarding the dairy program and other provisions in the new farm bill will be noon Dec. 27.
The free webinar will be presented by Marin Bozic, assistant professor in applied economics at the University of Minnesota. The webinar is free, but registration is required.
The program will highlight and discuss the economic implications of five points:
• discontinuation of the Margin Protection Program for dairy producers
• introduction of a Dairy Margin Coverage Program
• low premiums and coverage levels up to $9.50, as well as discounts for consistent use
• partial rebate of net MPP premiums paid for 2015-18
• removing restrictions on combining crop insurance and Title I programs
Time for questions will be allotted at the end of the presentation. The webinar is sponsored by I-29 Moo University and Minnesota Milk. For more information, contact Fred Hall, Iowa State University Extension dairy specialist, at 712-737-4230 or [email protected].
2019 Dairy Days
Iowa dairy producers also have the opportunity to learn about emerging dairy industry issues during 2019 Dairy Days. The workshops, hosted by ISU Extension dairy specialists, will be held between Jan. 21 and Feb. 7 at seven eastern Iowa locations.
“Our dairy team conducts this workshop to provide the latest research to Iowa’s dairy producers,” says Jennifer Bentley, dairy specialist with ISU Extension. “Our goal is to help producers make sound herd management decisions that are backed by current and relevant information.”
Topics covered at 2019 Dairy Days include early-season crop scouting for corn and alfalfa, silage inoculants, robotic milking, hygiene, and heifer economics.
“This daylong program offers producers an opportunity to hear up-to-date information. They can also talk with our speakers for answers to their specific situations,” Bentley says.
Dairy Days dates and locations
• Jan. 21. Windy Tree Cafe, 101 E. Main St., Riceville
• Jan. 22. ISU Extension, 218 S Main, Fayette
• Jan. 23. Civic Center, 200 First St. NE, Waverly
• Feb. 4. ISU Extension, 402 E. North St., Bloomfield
• Feb. 5. Chamber of Commerce, 514 B Ave., Kalona
• Feb. 6. Neumann's Bar and Grill, 927 Main St., Holy Cross
• Feb. 7. River Valley Co-op, 605 Franklin St., Ryan
Registration starts at 9:30 a.m. and the program will conclude by 2:30 p.m. A $15 registration covers the noon meal and proceedings. Preregistration is requested by the Friday before each event to reserve a meal. Online registration is available.
Vouchers for the event may be available at your local agriservice providers or veterinarian’s office. For more information, contact your ISU Extension and Outreach county office, or ISU Extension dairy specialist Jennifer Bentley at 563-382-2949 or Larry Tranel at 563-583-6496.
Source: Iowa State University
You May Also Like
Current Conditions for
Enter a zip code to see the weather conditions for a different location.
Are you ready for a run-up in cattle prices?Dec 01, 2023
Weekly Grain Movement: Corn outperforms trade expectationsDec 04, 2023
Will 2024 be better?Dec 01, 2023