Attendees will go from bines to steins at the 2020 Ohio Hop Conference, hosted by the Ohio Hop Growers Guild, with numerous sessions focused on producing high-quality crops and meeting demand for the growing industry. The seventh annual conference is set for Feb. 21- 22, at the Courtyard by Marriott Springfield Downtown, Springfield, Ohio.
The Ohio Hop Conference unites producers, brewers and beer enthusiasts with industry leaders and university experts to explore innovations in hop growing techniques and current areas of research.
“The Ohio hop industry is growing and improving every year. As producers, we must do the same,” says Jandi Adams, Ohio Hop Growers Guild chairwoman. “The conference is a fantastic opportunity for growers to make business connections and set standards that ensure hops produced in Ohio are the safest, most sustainable and highest-quality on the market.”
In addition to networking opportunities and access to the industry trade show, attendees of the 2020 conference will hear from expert speakers and engage in hands-on learning sessions.
Several featured topics and speakers include:
• Erin Lizotte, Michigan State University Extension integrated pest management educator and a hop expert in the Midwest.
• “Making Your Soil Work for You — An Update on the Ohio Hops Soil Study,” with Steve Culman and Brad Bergefurd, both with Ohio State University.
• “From Bines to Steins: An Overview of the Brewing Process.” This includes hop characteristics needed during hopping, during boil, at flameout and dry hopping. Presented by Kevin Loftis of Mother Stewart’s Brewing Co.
• All-Ohio Hoppy Hour and Sensory Evaluation. Practice Beer Judge Certification Program beer tasting techniques and sample four all-Ohio SMASH [single malt and single hop] beers. With Dave Volkman, a certified cicerone.
• “Brewing Up Business: Practical Marketing Strategies to Sell Your Hops and Build Your Brand,” with Shift-ology Communication.
Registration for the conference is $160 per person and includes meals and a social evening at Mother Stewart’s Brewing Co. To register for the event, visit ohiohopconference.eventbrite.com. The conference is offering a block rate of $99 per room per night at the Courtyard by Marriott Springfield Downtown . Registrants can use the discount code OHGS for online booking.
The Ohio Hop Growers Guild provides support to 70-plus hop producers across the state through networking, education and advocacy. Since its formation in 2014, OHGG has sought to unify, grow, educate and protect Ohio’s emerging hop industry and to increase sales of Ohio-grown hops. Learn more at ohgg.org.