Penn State Extension’s "Farming for Success" agronomy field day has grown into a major event at the Southeast Research and Extension Center, near Manheim, Pa. This year’s field day, set for June 21, features a wide range of crop production topics.
Registration opens at 8:30 a.m. The morning lead-off session begins at 9 a.m., titled "So you want to look at a new enterprise." Penn State agronomist Andrew Frankenfield will tackle how to realistically evaluate specialty markets such as farm stands, organic production or off-farm income, as well as new potential new income sources.
What’s on the 13 tour stops
Three field tour tracks held in the morning and afternoon will cover:
• Corn and soybean herbicide options, including Dicamba-resistant soybean plots
• Planting green discussion, hosted by the Pennsylvania No-Till Alliance
• Understanding and managing white mold in soybeans
• Slug ID and management
• Hemp production and potential
• Planting date impacts on soybean yield
• Crop management and alternative crops
• Technologies to achieve top alfalfa yield and quality
• GMO vs. non-GMO: A financial vs. agronomic decision
• Do-it-yourself soil health testing
• Crediting nitrogen from manure, cover crops and soil organic matter
• What is it? Sending plant and soil samples to the PSU Disease Clinic
• Optimum manure utilization
After the noon break, you may be interested in a talk titled "Business ethics in times of economic uncertainty." Luther Smith, executive director of the International Certified Crop Advisor Program, will share how the integrity of certified crop advisors can boost market value.
The field day is organized by the Penn State Extension Field and Forage Crop Team, with the support of Pennsylvania No-Till Alliance, Pennsylvania Corn Growers Association, Pennsylvania Soybean Board, plus additional sponsors from the chemical and seed industries, equipment dealerships, ag lenders, and crop production professionals.
The registration deadline is June 19. It costs only $10 per person, including the catered lunch. if registered before that day, or $15 on the day of the event. You can register online today.
Make your reservation. Punch 1446 Auction Rd., Manheim, Pa., into your GPS. Then load up and roll out.