Farm Progress is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Serving: West
SWFP-SHELLEY-HUGULEY-18-cotton-under cover.jpg

NRCS offers funding for cover crops to Oklahoma flood victims

The application deadline is July 12, 2019. Funding available for cropland only.

During the spring of 2019, extensive amounts of rainfall created flooding in many Oklahoma river bottoms and their tributaries, causing unprecedented destruction over a large portion of northeastern and southwestern Oklahoma.

See, Feeding moldy hay can create problems in livestock

In response, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) in Oklahoma is offering special Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) funding for “cover crop” establishment, on cropland only, to landowners impacted by this natural disaster. Cropland damage resulting from the flooding includes sand deposition and scouring. Cover crops reduce erosion, increase soil organic matter, capture and recycle nutrients in the soil profile, increase biodiversity, suppress weeds, manage soil moisture and minimize or reduce soil compaction. 

See, Oklahoma faces devastating losses from flooding

The application deadline for the program is July 12, 2019. Producers should consider the impact this program might have on crop insurance eligibility and FSA Prevented Planting guidelines, if applicable.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Farm Service Agency (FSA) and the NRCS have designated eligibility for the following counties: Blaine, Caddo, Canadian, Creek, Cherokee, Delaware, Haskell, Kay, Kiowa, LeFlore, Lincoln, Mayes, Muskogee, Nowata, Noble, Okmulgee, Osage, Ottawa, Payne, Pawnee, Rogers, Tulsa, Sequoyah, Wagoner, Washington and Washita.

See, ELAP may offset grazing losses incurred by floodwaters

If in an eligible county and seeking more information about the “cover crop” program, please contact your local NRCS office for assistance. NRCS offices and staff are located and available in every county in Oklahoma.

Source: is USDA, which is solely responsible for the information provided and is wholly owned by the source. Informa Business Media and all its subsidiaries are not responsible for any of the content contained in this information asset.

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.