As the weather warms, farmers will get into the field for planting corn and soybeans. Here are some tips and tools from DuPont Pioneer experts for planting, from planter setup to row spacing to planting rates.
- Discuss seeding rates and row spacing with your seed professional.
- Calibrate and adjust planters based on recommended fan speed or pressure, ground speed and talc or graphite coverage.
- Utilize planter meters to maximize seed singulation and ensure spacing accuracy and targeted planting.
- Reduce tillage passes to preserve soil moisture.
- Use planter-mounted row cleaners to allow soil to warm and to move disease organisms away from the seed.
- Plant at least 1.5-2 inches deep to ensure that the nodal roots develop ¾ of an inch below the soil surface.
- Plant only when soil is near 50° F and the forecast is for warm temperatures.
Planting tools you can use from Pioneer include an online planter setting calculator. Farmers enter the planter type and seed batch ID (when using Pioneer seed) to get customized planter setting recommendations.
Also available is the Field360 Plantability app. From Pioneer, the app offers planting recommendations on your phone or tablet after using your device to scan the bar code on the seed bag (when using Pioneer seed).
The Planting Rate Estimator app allows users to use historical yield response curves to estimate an optimum planting rate for Pioneer corn products.
Read more about the planting tools from Pioneer.
You might also like: