The National Association of Conservation Districts recognized winners of its national service awards at the organization’s 2020 Annual Meeting.
“There are so many people doing great work every day in the name of conservation,” said NACD President Tim Palmer of Iowa. “It’s an honor to be able to recognize them for their dedication.”
- David Daigle of Radley, La., and Emma Chow of Santa Maria, Calif., received the National Conservation Planning Partnership's Hugh Hammond Bennett Awards for Conservation Excellence. Daigle received the award in recognition of his innovative conservation efforts on his land. Chow received the award for conservation planning, in honor of her more than 10 years working one-on-one with farmers and ranchers to help them improve and protect their land.
- NACD/NRCS Olin Sims Conservation Leadership Award went to Robby Bevis of Scott, Ark., for his extensive leadership ensuring conservation-minded farming techniques throughout the state of Arkansas are in good partnership with nature.
- Allen, Shelly, Carol and Tony Dean of Dean Farms Cover Crop Sales and Service in Bryan, Ohio, received the 2019 NACD Friend of Conservation Award for their contributions to conserving the nation’s natural resources. The Deans work closely with Williams Soil and Water Conservation District, even offering to host their annual field Technology Day when the district’s budget had been cut.
- The 2019 NACD Distinguished Service Award recipient, Angela Ehlers, is the executive director for the South Dakota Association of Conservation Districts. Ehlers has been dedicated to the conservation mission for more than 38 years. Her work for SDACD has made an outstanding difference in furthering conservation efforts in South Dakota.
- The 2019 NACD President’s Award was presented to Jim Harreld of Madison, Miss. Harreld is a lifetime member of Friends of NACD and has recently served as the NACD Southeast Region Executive Board Member.
- Virginia Dare Soil and Water Conservation District in Chesapeake, Va., received the 2019 NACD/NRCS Earth Team Award.
- Anita Cowan of Marshall County Soil and Water Conservation District, Miss., was named the 2019 Outstanding Conservation District Board Member by the National Conservation District Employees Association.
- Celia Miller of Madison County Soil and Water Conservation District, Miss., was named the 2019 Outstanding Conservation District Employee by the National Conservation District Employees Association.