Farm Futures logo

Last minute dryer prep, combine fix, is just in time for harvest to begin.

Kyle Stackhouse 2

September 9, 2021

2 Min Read
Corn dumping from combine auger into grain cart.
Kyle Stackhouse

We started making plans in July so that we would be ready for harvest. Apparently, that is not early enough!

Late last week we got our corn head back from the dealer where aftermarket stalk roll knives were installed, only to find out the aftermarket product didn’t fit our head properly. They had to be removed and we were fortunate to find enough OEM style knives to put back on our head. I was able to do an after-hours pick up on the way to Ivy’s softball game Saturday evening and we spent most of the day Monday installing them, finishing up Tuesday morning.

For those who do not know, the stalk rolls are what does 90% of the work on the corn head. On the front of the corn combine, the corn stalk is funneled into the rolls where sharp knives pinch together and pull the plant down through the head, so that the ear can be harvested. The knives are a high wear component of the head.

The combine wasn’t ready either. We had put both machines on the list for some odd jobs at another dealer and taken the first machine to them a couple weeks ago. In the meantime we brought the grain cart and tractor in for service so it was ready to go. (I think it only took four tubes of grease!)

I also prepped the dryer and found two electrical components had failed over the off season. I had it ready to go after two next day air parts orders arrived.

We got the combine back Tuesday evening this week. A quick service was done Wednesday and the machine was rolling by late afternoon.

Startup actually seemed to go pretty well. I don’t know what I was thinking, going through initial startup of the grain dryer beginning at 5:30 pm! The first day running the dryer takes more time to make sure everything works correctly and to get the dryer tuned in. It was a late night watching and checking everything. But I think we’re ready to roll this morning. We will see how things go!

It wasn’t much of a Labor Day weekend, but I did get to go to Ivy’s games Saturday night, church and another game on Sunday, then the in-laws on Monday evening for homemade ice cream and a boat ride.

The opinions of the author are not necessarily those of Farm Futures or Farm Progress. 

Subscribe to receive top agriculture news
Be informed daily with these free e-newsletters

You May Also Like